The Irish Association of Funeral Directors promotes excellence and expertise in the services provided by its members and strives to foster cooperation between members to enable them to provide better service to their clients.
• Explores how funeral service is best governed
• Strives to increase membership of the organization throughout the island of Ireland and thereby maximizes its influence
• Raises the profile and influence of the association
• Provides a portfolio of high quality education services for its members
• Develops collaborative arrangements with other relevant associations
The Board, acting on behalf of IAFD members, is working towards the following mission: “To work with our members to achieve excellence in funeral service and represent the funeral sector"
Vision: The vision of the IAFD is to inspire our members to achieve standards of excellence in order to help them serve their communities and represent the funeral sector as one voice in a professional and client focused manner.
We have adopted three fundamental core values that we aspire to adhere to in how the business of the Association is conducted. These are guiding principles that run as a thread through everything the Association does on behalf of its members. Our core values are:
• We will strive for excellent quality standards in all we do and encourage this in our members.
• We will act at all times with trustworthiness, fairness and respect in dealing with others.
• We will conduct the business of Association in a way that is seen to be open and transparent.
It is a Customer Care Charter for the clients of IAFD Funeral Directors, guaranteeing a minimum standard of professional competence, openness and caring for families at what is a vulnerable time for many.
The IAFD is governed by a Board of Directors which is elected by its members bi-annually in General Meeting. The directors are men and women from all parts of Ireland who are highly experienced in the provision of funeral service. They come from varying backgrounds and different sizes of businesses and are located around Ireland in urban and rural areas. They provide their services on a voluntary basis and are passionate about what they do.
• National Representation – The IAFD is recognized by both governments, the public and the funeral sector as an authority in funeral service
• Education and Training - The IAFD Code of Practice contains a commitment to provide full training for staff with a view to improving the quality of service provided. The Certificate in Funeral Practice is a FETAC level 5 Course designed and delivered by the Irish Association of Funeral Directors to provide a combination of formal classroom & practical based training to meet the needs of Funeral Directors to ensure that members of the Association provide the highest standard of service to their clients.
• Collaboration with members across Ireland – The IAFD organises regular regional member meetings to increase networking and sharing of issues and solutions
• Provision of Up-to-date sector relevant information communications
• Members have access to “members only” website which provides access to a library of news, event notifications and resources
• Professional Indemnity Insurance
• Provision of advice and support on conducting non-standard funerals
• Provision of advise on legal, insurance and administrative issues specific to the funeral sector
Applications for membership of the Association are always welcome. Full membership will be considered from firms operating on the island of Ireland. Criteria for membership as laid down by IAFD must be met by prospective members. Membership is at the discretion of the Board of the IAFD. Please contact us for more details.
For more information and to download an application form please click here;